March 09, 2007

Councillor angry at cash boost for BNP

Swansea councillor Ray Welsby has hit out at rules that allow the British National Party to use hundreds of pounds of taxpayers' cash to fight the Assembly elections.Because the far right group has managed to find four candidates to fight seats in the region, it is entitled to Assembly cash for leaflet drops and other expenses. It will also get a slot on television for a party political broadcast.

Councillor Welsby has been told he will have to fund his own campaign because he is standing on his own as an independent. Councillor Welsby said: "I can't get any funding, but a group like the BNP is getting money for leaflet drops and campaigning from the government. Because I am on my own, the Assembly has said I do not qualify for the money. It is completely unfair. I must pay for myself. The rules should be the same for everyone. Either we all have to pay for ourselves, or we all get money. Otherwise it is not a level playing field."

The Assembly funds groups that can put up at least four candidates in each of Wales's five regional seats on May 3.

Councillor Welsby said: "I think it's terrible, I really do. This group has some very questionable views and they are being funded with taxpayers' money."

BNP leader Nick Griffin is one of four party members who will fight the South Wales West Assembly seat in this summer's elections.

He said the BNP offered an alternative to the big parties in Wales and was hopeful of taking some seats. "I will be in the area campaigning. We simply can't tell how well we will do, but we are hopeful of one or two seats."

This is South Wales

No comments: